Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Steady Burn on Yahoo! Sports...


Tomorrow I embark on what is sure to be a memorable trip to say the least when my good buddy Bley and I set forth from Queens, NY for Louisville, KY and the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby.

I'm teeming with excitement. I can't remember being this jacked up on a Wednesday since...well, ever.

I've arranged with Jamie Mottram at Yahoo! Sports to do a blog post on Y! Sports Blogs recounting the experience that should hit interweb newstands Monday morning.

Here's a portion of the itinerary that I sent Jamie late last week...

As of this time next week, I’ll be en route to Louisville, KY for the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby. Here’s my rough itinerary for the journey:

  • Wednesday, April 31, Midnight: Paycheck hits checking account; man, I love direct deposit.
  • Thursday, May 1, 10 a.m. Eastern Standard: Depart Queens, NY. Former college roommate, the honorable Bley, esq. at the helm of the Dodge Charger.
  • Thu. May 1, Dusk: Arrive at the Ohio State University. See what all the hullabaloo about this place really is. Bring (and/or join) the ruckus.
  • Friday, May 2, Noonish EST: Embark for Louisville, KY. Approximately 180 miles from Columbus. What lies in between? Only god knows. My main goal would be to pick up Chad Johnson & Chris Henry in Cincinnati, but who knows if they even like hanging out with each other?
  • Friday Night, May 2: Arrive in Louisville, KY, knowing nobody, find a place to crash. Really excited about this part of the trip. (note: Bley has since secured a hotel. I can't imagine it's a nice one).
  • Saturday, in the a.m., May 3: Don seersucker. Set-up shop at Church Hill Downs. Devour the Derby.
  • Sunday, May 4: schlep back to NYC. Reflect.
  • Monday, May 5: recovery day.
Just writing this itinerary got me real fired up, and now, I’m listening to Ace of Spades by Motörhead. The full details of this trip, I can only imagine.

I plan to be a skilled professional in the arts of the mint julep, the double exacta box, the triple exacta box, and the southern belle by close of business on Saturday, May 3rd.

...

The early lines are in for the running of the roses, and Big Brown is the morning line favorite at 3-1. BB drew number 16 (out of 20) in the post position selection order however, and might have to break from the outside gates on Saturday.

That makes no sense? I'd suggest relaxing until Saturday (unless you're going to bet the farm) before you start thinking about this. In the meantime, check out an old Hunter S. Thompson essay on the scene at the Derby.

...

In other gambling happenings, I bet my friend Cadigan a c-note this morning that Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy won't win 10 games combined this year

Post time is roughly 72 hours from now. We've got to cover roughly 700 miles between now and then (and I plan on being their Friday morning). I can't freakin' wait! Look for my post on Yahoo! next Monday.

Digg this
BallHype: hype it up!

No comments: